[Castor-users] Fwd: Re: Optimizer parameters and figures of merit

tmerlin Thibaut.Merlin at univ-brest.fr
Thu Jun 14 15:59:35 CEST 2018

Hello Kajal,

The /-opti-stat/ option will output several image-based information for
each image update (iterations or subsets). Namely, the mean voxel value
and standard deviation over all voxels in the new image estimation (/New
image estimate/ line), and the same figures of merit for the difference
image between the new image estimation and the previous one (/Image
update step/ line). Just to let you know, you can also configure the
output number format (scientific/fixed format, and precision ) with the
option /-onbp./

The first lines display the initial parameters of the /optimizer/ you
use (MLEM by default). The data space denominator threshold if the
threshold under which estimated forward values are discarded (it is used
to avoid division by 0, and could be modified if you have low-stat data,
leading to very low forward-projeted values). It is used during the data
updates ( /iOptimizerMLEM::DataSpaceSpecificOperations()/ ). Minimum
(and Maximum) update factors are some thresholds used for the same
purposes during the image data step
(/iOptimizerMLEM::ImageSpaceSpecificOperations() /). All these
parameters can be modified in the command-line options (using -opti
MLEM,a,b,c,d   where a,b,c,d are the initial image value, denominator
threshold, minimum image update and maximum image update values
respectively), or directly in the MLEM configuration file in
config/optimizer/.

The /-opti-fom/ option computes some data-space based figures of merit,
such as log-likelihood and RMSE. As these are computed from the data and
forward model estimation for each bin, this option is restricted to
histogram data. There is currently no implementation of image-based
figures of merit besides global mean and standard deviation
computations, however it should be quite straightforward to implement
some in the vOptimizer class (by creating and initializing a variable
following the example of /mp_imageStatMean/ in vOptimizer.hh and
vOptimizer.cc files, then implementing its behavior in the
/vOptimizer::ImageUpdateStep()/ function and outputing the result).

Hope this helps !

Best regards,

Thibaut