[Castor-users] Detector movement

Simon Stute simon.stute at cea.fr
Wed Jun 27 11:54:21 CEST 2018

Hi Milan,

Thanks for your interest into CASToR !

The next release will not contain detector movements, only movements of
the patient.

Anyway, whatever the movement we are talking about, it is always
considered in a discrete sense (opposite to continuous).

There are no solutions yet in the iterative reconstruction world to
implement a reconstruction with continuous time management, because
everything is algebraic and is by definition discrete. In your case, you
may consider the image as unique over the whole revolution of your
detectors, but you will need the sensitivity image as a continuous
function of the time, which is hardly computable.

However, this is a very interesting question that remains to be solved
and would make an interesting area of research, but it is a stand-alone
research project on its own, to my opinion.

Even Siemens with their continuous PET bed motion does not implement a
continuous reconstruction and cut the acquisition into "chuncks" which
roughly correspond to discrete bed positions.

All the best !
Simon